World's richest 1% own 40% of all wealth, UN report discovers
Thanks to the Guardian for covering this. Key statistics:
- Bottom 50% of population own less than 1% of global wealth.
- More than 1/3 of all global weath is owned by Americans.
- 27% of global wealth is owned by the Japanese.
- Top three per capita wealth; (1) $181,000 (Japanese), (2) $144,000 (Americans), (3) $127,000 (British).
- Study by the UN's World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Total weath of the globe is $125 trillion ($125,000,000,000,000)
- Top 10% of adults owned 85% of all global wealth.